Please read all information provided with regard to your peel service and click this link to authorize Skin and Tonic to perform your peel service.
Light superficial complexion peels are an effective exfoliating, regenerating, and stimulating treatment for a variety of skin problems. The acids used for this treatment can vary depending on skin type and tolerance. We select from a range of acids from Alpha Hydroxy & Beta Acids to TCA & Retinol.
The skin does not always visibly peel. Your skin will still benefit from this procedure resulting in smoother and softer skin, a healthier glow, less oil, more moisture, refined pores, an improvement in discoloration, diminished fine lines, and increased acne control.
Progressive peels are very mild and the peeling is only noticeable to you. Even though there will be anticipated peeling, the skin, at various stages of progress, may experience heavier sloughing. Usually this is never more than 1-3 days.
The entire peeling process can last up to 7 days with a Progressive peel. Each client's reaction to the peel can be different based on skin type, diet, stress, sleep, etc. Immediately following the treatment, the skin will feel very smooth and tight. You may experience sensitivity or discomfort when applying cleansers and nutrient serums.
Listed below is a general description of what to anticipate.
- There may be a color change - pink to red the first day and then a brown tone until peeling occurs. The skin will generally begin peeling in 2-3 days, however peeling can take place anytime for the next 7 days.
- Redness and slight swelling
- Skin may feel raw and irritated and itchy
- Discoloration and dark pigmented spots prior to peeling
- Dry skin and light flaking for up to 5 days
- Stinging sensation when cleanser and sunscreen are applied
- Welting due to sensitivity
After your peel please AVOID:
- ANY ENZYMES OR ABRASIVE EXFOLIANTS until directed.
- PICKING! Premature peeling may damage skin and cause scarring and hyperpigmentation.
- HEAT! Being outside in the shade can have adverse effects too. Excess heat can be too stimulating. Stay away from saunas, hot tubs, hot showers and steam rooms for the first 48 hours.
- SUN EXPOSURE! Wear a hat and sunblock every day.
- VIGOROUS EXERCISE for up to 48 hours: Over-stimulation and heat will flush the skin and increase the intensity of the peel.
- TIGHT HEADBANDS, HATS OR GLASSES that press heavily around the head or nose for up to 48 hours.
- TAPE, BANDAGES OR HOT COMPRESSES TO TREATED AREAS.
- DENTAL WORK.....it stretches the skin.
- WEARING MASKS the same day of a peel.
- SWIMMING FOR AT LEAST 48 HOURS. Chlorine is a skin irritant.
- EXCESSIVE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION - this will lead to dehydration and irritation.
- SMOKING - dries and irritates the skin.
- WHISKER BURNS: Not yours......his!
- Avoid topicals containing dyes, perfumes, preservatives that can be very irritating. Use only the topicals suggested.
Milk or Citrus Gel cleanser: Morning and night (if skin feels too irritated once a day is fine)
Omega Serum, Growth factor serum or Post balm as often as needed to soothe and heal skin
E Zinc cream or Daytime Defense Sunscreen prior to sun exposure
If you experience something other than or worse than what is listed here, please contact us . Do not use any other products or excessively wash the skin.
Return in one week for post care and follow up or unless otherwise advised by your Skin Care Therapist.