Post Waxing Care Face and Body
While waxing is intended to create beautiful results, please understand that this is very traumatizing to the skin and you will experience irritation. Some people even find that they are not good candidates for waxing as their skin is just too sensitive. Keep in mind that once the root has been removed, the hair follicle is now wounded and prone to bacteria caused from sweat and moisture. Click here for Brazilian Waxing FAQ's!
Common symptoms as a result of waxing:
- Red, irritated bumps (resembling a rash)
- Breakouts and pustules
- Bleeding from the follicle
- Thinning of the skin or skin removal (especially where clothing creates friction)
- Ingrown hairs (which can become infected)
- Broken hairs due to thick, stubborn roots
These symptoms should go away after a waiting period, anywhere from 24 to 48 hours and maybe longer depending on your skin's sensitivity and what products you've been using in the areas waxed.
While it is important for the esthetician to provide a sanitary service, it is up to the client to properly take care of their skin after waxing. Sometimes there is just no way around avoiding those annoying breakouts, so we've provided a few tricks to give some relief and minimize the issues.
How to treat irritation:
Aloe Vera (soothes and relieves redness and is a natural antiseptic)
How to treat ingrown hairs:
- Keep the area exfoliated. Do not over exfoliate! Use scrub, loofah or exfoliating brush up to 3 times a week!
- Keep skin soft and bacteria free by using a tea tree oil blend. Neosporin has provided great results for spot treatment.
- Apply witch hazel morning and night. We recommend Thayer's as it doesn't contain a high content of alcohol which can be irritating. Witch hazel is an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
- Wear breathable clothing!
After waxing, do not expose waxed skin to the sun or you'll run the risk of burning your skin. Apply your sunscreen!
Also refrain from using fragrance lotions or perfumes in the waxed area. This may cause a rash or irritation.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or issues regarding your wax!